Olympics: Michael Christian Martinez

19:59

I don't know why but I feel like I need to talk about him.

I've been following him. Like really following him since I started obsessing over figure skating.

I honestly returned to loving figure skating because of Yuri on Ice and I feel happy that I did. Now I'm a big fan of a lot of people like Shoma Uno, Satoko Miyahara, Wenjing Sui and Cong Han, Xiaoyu Yu and even Kanako Murakami before she left. I feel happy to learn about so many figure skaters.

But this guy right here. He was someone I admired last 2014 And Yuzuru Hanyu before even knowing or learning about the sport. I know of him. But it was only after that I really got to appreciate him. I really didn't know much about the sport (before watching Yuri on Ice) but I was really enamoured by him.

He has an image of independent perseverance for me

I want to say that in the Philippines, we don't have a very big media coverage or even a detailed look on him. Unlike Japanese shows where I watch reporters explain and geek out on figure skaters of not only in Japan but from other nations as well. I have watched numerous times reporters talk to him and ask him about the sport, not bothering to know about the sport or explaining the sport to the viewers where they can find the time to appreciate and understand him.

I want to say I am a bit sad because I was expecting him to dance to Carmina Burana because I never really got to see it properly at the Asian Winter games and I didn't get to see live the Nebelhorn trophy so I was hoping to watch it properly here. But I guess it might not be something for me to watch properly. Here's the Nebelhorn one

I really felt the struggle he had at the Olympics. It took a toll on him. I have to be honest that I noticed he wasn't skating anymore. I saw on his Instagram he was posting something about building his body now rather than keeping himself light. He might be heavier already than he was months ago where jumping might have been easy. I have to say that he did skate clean but I saw his jump layouts and he really didn't hit his goals. I also see the difference in his step sequence. I kept comparing it to his best one last season in 4CC. I was really blown away with how he does his step sequence. But I have to be honest, this time it wasn't as snappy as it was in 4CC and slower than he used to be. But I still love that he did his best by adding transitions to his jumps to add more grade to it. Here are some of his transitions or somehow my highlights of him on 4CC.

I don't know if you guys know but I read he actually really quit already after the Nebelhorn trophy. He didn't annouce it but I somehow was expecting it. I was really afraid he'll never come back because I've been checking everywhere. He didn't attend 4CC. It was a clear sign he was packed up. I feel really happy he still got a chance to be here. I hope he tries at least one more. Next month, on Worlds. I really want to see him end his career on a good note. Where he practiced and prepared for. I want to see him on the ice one last time before he really closes the door.

Since I don't know how much some of you know them I'll try to name some of them. and since I can I'll try to gif them. I only gif'ed the slowmo on the jumps because I can.

Well I don't know how much people know about the Jumps first so I'll list here the slowmo of the Jumps he had. The first jump he did is the Triple Lutz-Double Toe Loop combination. I was really shocked when I saw it live because I looked at the list of planned jumps, so I thought he would be really disappointed. I'm saying all of my thoughts during the time where I was really thinking he's still ok and practicing for months. I was kinda delusional that he'd still continue for months. But all the evidences otherwise were right at my face but I refused to believe them. but here it is now the result of him somehow being out of the ice for a while. I have to be honest tho. His Lutz is still very good in form and execution. See how his foot is very clearly on the outside edge. I still think he still is one of people who can execute the textbook Lutz.
The second jump he did was the Double Axel. Planned triple. You can see on my tumblr post above his triple axel. I have nothing to say to it but lack of speed. If he had a bit more speed maybe it would work more to Michael's favor. but I guess he's brave in letting that go and just opening after the 2nd. I'm saying this the same for the 2nd toe loop on the one before this. I think it takes a great deal of mental awareness and preparedness to let go of a jump. He's not going to risk the points for under rotation, deductions for falls, or negative GOEs. It was this moment I realized that he wasn't doing this just for himself anymore. He's just doing this for the Philippines now. He wants to skate clean for them rather than be competitive and get higher points.
This is the Triple loop. I feel happy that he did this well. I was worried actually but it was good. This was the move where he can do the Quad at and the Quad toe loop. I feel happy this was the single jump that he did. If he put a Triple toe loop here, I would be thinking he's planning on doing the Quad toe loop. Which would somehow be a bit disastrous knowing he hasn't been working on it for the past months. I feel really happy he was able to do this whole program in such short notice.

I'll share 2 spins. He's actually well known for his spins. This I think most of you know is the Biellman spin. He spins slower than before, but he's still has very good form. One of the commentators said so as well. I actually wasn't expecting it to look as good as it did. It's still more like a tear drop. It's still more beautiful than some of the Ladies.
For a reference this is his speed on Sochi for his Biellmann spin
I wanted to talk about this spin. This spin is called the shotgun spin. He used to do the I spin during this part of the combination. I feel scared he's not as flexible as he used to be but I think he's flexible enough. Especially for the men's field.

So here are some of the transitions I was talking about. The first one is the fan spiral before the double axel. He held it shorter than last time I think.
This one is the cantilever before the triple loop. I want everyone to know this is one of the hardest moves and one of the most commented haha. simply because it's crazy hard. Other people doing it are Shoma Uno and Julian Yee. I'm mentioning them because they are on the same generation.
This one was part of the step sequence he had that you can compare to the post above. He's not as snappy and he looks a bit tired while doing it. I don't wish so but I think maybe his stamina changed.

Here is my current mood. A breath of relief that he has done what he can and did it somehow as clean as he can. I guess I can't really say anything anymore but thank you for deciding mid air to not push what he doesn't feel confident in doing anymore. I am with Yuzuru on this one. I'm glad that you were there to skate on the Olympics. You really deserve it.
I want to say I'm very happy that he's smiling and he's not disappointed in himself for doing this. Especially after everything I've read. I can feel nothing more than proud. I know it wasn't his best, he wasn't fully prepared for it but I want him to be happy.

A letter for Michael

I want to say that if this is the last time, I am happy that you are happy. I really wish that you would consider next month or maybe this would convince you to go back and fight more. But I know your struggles. I know how harsh it is. If you decide to go. I want you to know that my heart is with you. I feel that maybe you have other places you want to go and discover I would still follow you and support you. Please be happy. Please always smile. I love you!
ーメイコ

PS. I might edit this again because I'm doing this in a hurry. I'm about to go to a trip to the North. I'll see you guys in a few days!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog