русский язык

15:25

I've been saying lately that I'm gonna start learning Italian next year. But if I'm going to be honest, I want to learn Russian more than Italian right now. I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with figure skating but I want to learn Russian. Like for real. I wanna know what Russian is like. I honestly have a friend who knows Russian so it would be awesome because I'd have someone I can actually talk to in that language and I really wanna know their culture. I've been saying a lot how much I love culture and how I want to know about other people's culture. Russians have this weird stereotype on them that they are scary and buff and that they sound like Klingon Mila Kunis said someone told her she sounded like Klingon. But I realize I don't want to judge them based on how American media has judged them. I want to know them for who they really are and how they think. I've said to some of my students and I wanted to share them with you guys as well if I have already said this to you or you know this you are awesome.

For me speaking in another language is like seeing the world in a different perspective. I mean for every language there are different ways to express ourselves. Like English itself has many different dialects. There's American English, British English, Australian English I'll use just these 3 first as my basis for example. The way they express one word can be different. Giving an example

American (& Canada) English: Apartment
British English: Flat
Australia (& New Zealand) English: Unit
I did not expect to add Canada and New Zealand but it was written there and I feel like it's good to add more info :)) Anyways, see how they are only pertaining to one thing yet they each expressed themselves differently? How much more if the language is completely different from what you know? Do they see the same things you do? Do they have a word for this feeling? Is there a way to describe what I am seeing. Those kinds of thoughts are what feeling linguist people like me have. So yeah I just wanted you guys to know :) I hope I can also inspire you to think that way and not just think of learning a language as a chore. We are lucky that we have a universal language. But I think having different languages and cultures are what makes all of us unique and beautiful. I hope I see you guys at class :)

ーメイコ

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog